Post Offices

Search
Post office:
County:

Mail delivery first began in North America during the seventeenth century. Prior to the availability of the telegraph, telephone, radio, television, or worldwide web, mail served as the only means of written communication between different locales. The United States’ early mail system proved to be primitive, slow, and often undependable. But as the nation grew, so did its postal system. As American settlers moved west and occupied new lands, their commerce and communication needs demanded dependable, affordable mail service. One of the new places served by the nation’s postal service was Arkansas.

Information about Arkansas post offices on this webpage includes the name of the post office, date of establishment, location, and county. Sources used in compiling this data include official postal service records, “Records of Appointments of Postmasters, Arkansas, 1832-1871” and “Geographic Site Location Reports, 1852-1945.” Also utilized were various editions of the Arkansas Gazette and Arkansas Democrat, several volumes of the Territorial Papers of the United States, and the Works Projects Administration’s “List of Post Offices in Arkansas 1817-1874, Inclusive.” The most comprehensive printed compilation of post office information is found in Arkansas History Commission Archival Manager Russell Baker’s Arkansas Post Offices from Memdag to Norsk: A Historical Directory, 1832-1990, published by the Arkansas Genealogical Society.

Post Office Est. Closed Location Comments
Adona 1879 14-5N-18W
Aplin 1871 1956 28-4N-18W Mail to Perryville
Ava 1929 32-3N-21W Changed from Quida, 1889; Was to be Demo; Mail to Hollis
Bigelow 17-4N-15W Changed from Fourche, 1909
Bingham Springs 1891 1895 36-2N-19W Mail to Jessieville
Blackwell See Kenney
Casa 1854 5-4N-19W
Cedar 1910 1912 18-3N-18W Mail to Aplin
Clem 1889 1909 17-2N-21W Mail to Ava
Cottonwood See Esau
Cypress Mills 1853 1860 13-6N-16W
Darl 1852 1853
Dixie 1878 1910 34-5N-15W Mail to Bigelow
Eden See Quidam
Ernia See Kenney
Esau 1888 16-4N-15W Was to be Cottonwood; Changed to Fourche, 1906
Fourche 17-4N-15W Changed from Esau, 1906; Changed to Bigelow, 1909
Fourche 1871 31-4N-19W Changed to Nimrod, 1874
Fourche Factory 1846 1846
Gibbons Landing 1873 15-4N-15W Changed from Klingelhoffer Landing, 1870
Goza 1898 1900 35-2N-20W Named for James M. Goza, Postmaster
Hollis 1886 1961 32-3N-20W Mail to Plainview
Holme's Mills 1860 1867
Houston 1878 34-5N-16W
Kenney 1900 1905 21-4N-15W Was to be Ernie or Blackwell; Mail to Esau
Klingelhoffer Landing 1870 Changed to Gibbons Landing, 1870
Ledwidge 1900 1929 26-4N-15W Mail to Bigelow
Long Creek 1877 1888 25-3N-17W Mail to Perryville
Maumelle 1846 1926 From Pulaski County, 1905; Back to Pulaski County, 1905
McKean Farm See Ragsdale
Moab 1893 1911 18-4N-16W Mail to Houston
Nimrod 1960 32-4N-19W Changed from Fourche, 1874; Mail to Perryville
Onyx 1858 1867
Oppelo 1867 1878
Perry 1899 27-5N-17W
Perryville 1841 10-4N-17W
Quidam 1894 34-3N-21W Was to be Eden; Changed to Ava, 1889
Ragsdale 1916 1919 3-3N-18W Local name, McKean Farm or Rose Farm; Mail to Debberrie
Rankinville 1908 1908 27-4N-16W Mail to Moab
Redemption 1890 1908 12-5N-15W Mail to Fourche
Rose Farm See Ragsdale
Satuma 1908 1917 23-3N-18W Was to be Verna; Mail to Thornburg
Sevier 1883 1890 12-5N-15W Named for M. R. Sevier, Postmaster; Mail to Dixie
The Bend See Debberrie
Thornburg 1915 1955 4-3N-17W Mail to Perryville
Tyler's Bluff 1858 1866 Named for Willys Tyler, Postmaster
Union City 1869 1873 18-5N-15W
Verna See Satuma
Wye 1910 1924 1-3N-16W Mail to Bigelow