Post Offices

Search
Post office:
County:

Mail delivery first began in North America during the seventeenth century. Prior to the availability of the telegraph, telephone, radio, television, or worldwide web, mail served as the only means of written communication between different locales. The United States’ early mail system proved to be primitive, slow, and often undependable. But as the nation grew, so did its postal system. As American settlers moved west and occupied new lands, their commerce and communication needs demanded dependable, affordable mail service. One of the new places served by the nation’s postal service was Arkansas.

Information about Arkansas post offices on this webpage includes the name of the post office, date of establishment, location, and county. Sources used in compiling this data include official postal service records, “Records of Appointments of Postmasters, Arkansas, 1832-1871” and “Geographic Site Location Reports, 1852-1945.” Also utilized were various editions of the Arkansas Gazette and Arkansas Democrat, several volumes of the Territorial Papers of the United States, and the Works Projects Administration’s “List of Post Offices in Arkansas 1817-1874, Inclusive.” The most comprehensive printed compilation of post office information is found in Arkansas History Commission Archival Manager Russell Baker’s Arkansas Post Offices from Memdag to Norsk: A Historical Directory, 1832-1990, published by the Arkansas Genealogical Society.

Post Office Est. Closed Location Comments
Ark 1851 Name changed to Liddesdale, 1853
Balaytown 1910 1911 6-18S-24W Mail to Canfield
Bay Springs 1840 1841 1842
Bear Creek 1852 1855 To Columbia County, 1852
Bickham 1927 1928 29-19S-26W Was to be named Canal; Mail to Doddridge
Birnam Wood 1866 Name changed from Covington, 1860
Bolinger 1892 5-17S-24W Named for Maurice S. Bolinger, Postmaster; Changed to Kress, 1905
Bradley 1890 13-19S-25W
Brafford See Palm
Bright Star 1860 1908 To Miller County, 1874
Buckner 1883 13-16S-23W From Columbia County, 1904
Cado See Lochinvar
Calhoun 1849 1904 To Columbia County, 1852
Canal See Bickham
Canfield 1888 1965 18-18S-24W
Clear Mount 1874 1876 25-16S-28W To Miller County, 1874
Conway 1832 1845 29-18S-25W
Covington 1858 Name changed to Birnam Wood, 1860
Dennis 11-20S-25W Changed from Arkana, Bossier Parish, Louisiana, 1899; Changed back, 1900
Dorcheate 1851 1875 To Columbia County, 1852
Forest Grove 1858 1866
Franch See Lochinvar
Frank See Glasgow
Frostville 1895 1911 26-18S-25W Mail to Canfield
Galveston 1887 15-16S-24W Named changed to New Lewisville, 1890
Gar See Glasgow
Glasgow 1886 1914 To be Walker, Gar, or Frank; Named for John H. Glasgow; Mail to Taylor
Hurricane Hill 1850 1884 33-15S-23W Mail to Lewisville
Jackson 1896 1906 To Nevada County, 1904
Joella 1896 1933 16-16S-25W Mail to Garland
Jones Mill 1889 26-19S-25W Name changed to Kizer, 1894
Kizer 1899 26-19S-25W Name changed from Jones Mill, 1894; Mail to Bradley
Kress 1909 5-17S-24W Name changed from Bolinger, 1905; Mail to Lewisville
LaFayette Court House 1828 ?-16S-25W Name changed to Lewisville, 1846
Lewisville 1903 3-16S-24W Name changed from LaFayette Court House, 1846
Lewisville 16-16S-24W Name changed from New Lewisville, 1903
Line Ferry 1859 1866
Linwood See Deaslee
Lochinvar 1888 1898 20-19S-23W To be named Taylor, Franch, or Cado; Mail to Centerville, Louisiana
Lost Prairie 1834 1837
Mars Hill/Mars 1872 1908 24-17S-24W Mail to McKamie
McKamie 1902 1963 17-17S-23W Mail to Stamps
Millville 1852 1856 To Columbia County, 1852
Monterey 1898 1899 To Miller County, 1898
New Lewisville 15-16S-24W Name changed from Galveston, 1890; To Lewisville, 1903
Oak Hill 1853 1867 15-20S-25W
Ora 1853 1903
Palm 1901 1906 17-15S-24W Was to be named Brafford; Mail to Lewisville
Randolph 1860 1873
Rondo 1852 1875 14-15S-28W To Miller County, 1874
Spirit Lake 1910 1910 26-16S-25W Mail to Lewisville
Spring Bank 1854 1868
Stamps 1888 16-16S-23W
Sulphur Fork 1874 1876 18-17S-27W To Miller County, 1874
Taylor See Lochinvar
Texarkana 1874 To Miller County, 1874
Walker 1874 See Glasgow
Walnut Hill 1842 1912 10-19S-25W Mail to Bradley
William 1907 1910 31-17S-24W Named for William Jones, Postmaster; Mail to Canfield