Post Offices

Post office:

Mail delivery first began in North America during the seventeenth century. Prior to the availability of the telegraph, telephone, radio, television, or worldwide web, mail served as the only means of written communication between different locales. The United States’ early mail system proved to be primitive, slow, and often undependable. But as the nation grew, so did its postal system. As American settlers moved west and occupied new lands, their commerce and communication needs demanded dependable, affordable mail service. One of the new places served by the nation’s postal service was Arkansas.

Information about Arkansas post offices on this webpage includes the name of the post office, date of establishment, location, and county. Sources used in compiling this data include official postal service records, “Records of Appointments of Postmasters, Arkansas, 1832-1871” and “Geographic Site Location Reports, 1852-1945.” Also utilized were various editions of the Arkansas Gazette and Arkansas Democrat, several volumes of the Territorial Papers of the United States, and the Works Projects Administration’s “List of Post Offices in Arkansas 1817-1874, Inclusive.” The most comprehensive printed compilation of post office information is found in Arkansas History Commission Archival Manager Russell Baker’s Arkansas Post Offices from Memdag to Norsk: A Historical Directory, 1832-1990, published by the Arkansas Genealogical Society.

Post Office Est. Closed Location Comments
Adelaide 1908 1916 22-10N-5W Was to be Thirty-Seven; Mail to Bradford
Algoa 1910 1957 8-10N-1W Mail to Newport
Amagon 1906 20-11N-1W
Augusta Changed from Chickasaw Crossing, 1850; To Woodruff County, 1862
Auvergne 1882 1966 7-10N-2W Was to be Henderson; Mail to Newport
Balch 1901 35-11N-1W Named for John H. Balch, Postmaster; Was to be Richwoods
Battle Axe See Kenyon
Beedeville 5-9N-1W Changed from Plunkett, 1910
Bengel 1914 1924 32-10N-3W Was to be Fina(?); Local name, Rains Landing; Mail to Weldon
Black Walnut 1856 1858
Bowens Ridge 1872 1877 24-10N-2W Mail to Auvergne; See Layton
Browns Creek 1857 1859 1861 1863
Cache River 1842 1845
Callie 1917 1918 33-12N-1W Mail to Grubbs
Campbell Station See Foster
Centreville See Kenyon
Chicksaw Crossing 1848 Changed to Augusta, 1850
Clarkson See Susan
Coffeyville 1900 14-10N-4W Changed from Grand Glaise, 1874; Mail to Grand Glaise
Coleraine 1851 1866
Colony 1856 1859 28-8N-2W Mail to Newport
Cook See Pennington
Cow Lake 1915 1919 36-10N-1W Mail to Eight Mile
Cromwell 1888 1895 33-12N-2W Mail to Newport
Crossroads See Heffington
Dale See Eli
Dales See Hopkins
Diaz/Diez 1916 25-12N-3W
Duffel 1929 1931 35-9N-1W Named for Guy Duffel; Was to be Jacobs; Mail to McFadden
Eight Mile 1892 1921 32-10N-1W Mail to Auvergne
Elgin 1857 1901 15-13N-3W Mail to Newport
Eli 1890 1896 26-10N-1W Was to be Dale; Mail to Eight Mile
Elizabeth 1856 Changed from Litchfield, 1839
Elmo 1879 35-12N-4W From Independence County, 1939; Changed to Macks, 1939
Estico 1904 1931 32-12N-1W Mail to Newport
Eva See Lassiter
Fina(?) See Bengel
Ford 1887 1890 11-11N-1W Mail to Rufus
Foster 1881 1884 18-12N-2W Was to be Campbell Station; Mail to Newport
Grand Glaise 1887 1976 13-10N-4W
Grand Glaise/Grand Glaze 1851 22-10N-4W Changed to Coffeyville, 1874
Grubbs 1888 16-12N-1W
Guy See Gwynn
Gwynn 1884 1884 24-12N-3W Was to be Guy; Mail to Newport
Hale 1895 1895 28-12N-1W Named for H. J. Hale, Postmaster
Harrisonville 1892 1899 11-12N-3W Named for James Y. Harrison, Postmaster; Mail to Newport
Heffington 1913 1917 35-10N-(?) Local name, Crossroads; Mail to Bradford
Henderson See Auvergne
Hopkins 1886 1887 36-10N-1W Was to be Dales; Mail to Taylor
Hurricane See Tuscony
Ibet 1884 20-9N-2W Changed to Tupelo, 1884
Ingleside 1904 1930 20-10N-3W Mail to Newport
Jachin 1858 1860
Jacksonport 1850 3-12N-3W
Jacobs See Duffel
Johnstown 1911 1922 Mail to Remmel
Kenyon 1843 1918 32-14N-2W Was to be Battle Axe; Local name, Centreville; Mail to Tuckerman
Langton 1914 1918 32-9N-1W Mail to McCrory
Lassiter 1910 1911 26-9N-2W Was to be Eva; Local name, Plunkett; Mail to McCrory
Layton 1887 1907 24-10N-2W Local name, Bowen's Ridge; Mail to Shoffner
Litchfield 1830 Changed from Elizabeth, 1939
Locust 1852 1853
Lone Grove 1873 1892 To Woodruff County, 1892
Lowe 1890 1902 30-11N-3W Named for James H. Lowe, Postmaster; Mail to Olyphant
Malone's Store 1872 1874 19-11N-2W Named for Benjamine T. Malone, Postmaster
McDonald 1858 1884 6-9N-2W Named for Alvin McDonald, Postmaster; Mail to Auvergne
McElrath 1878 1879 32-12N-1W
McFadden 1918 1955 15-9N-1W Mail to Hickory Ridge
Mount Pinson 1854 1860
Myrickville 1915 1917 19-12N-2W Named for William A. Myrick; Mail to Diaz
Newport 1873 11-11N-3W
Normandy See Tuscany
Nuckles 1919 1921 30-11N-3W Mail to Newport
Olyphant 1874 1960 1-10N-4W Mail to Bradford
Orue/Orme(?) 1898 1898
Pennington 1898 1923 11-11N-1W Named for John S. Pennington, Postmaster; Was to be Cook; Mail to Amagon
Phelps 1888 1892 30-11N-2W Named for Seymore C. Phelps, Postmaster; Mail to Newport
Picketts Station 1872 1877 19-10N-2W
Plunkett 1904 24-9N-1W Named for John Y. Plunkett, Postmaster; Was to be Walter; See Lassiter; Changed to Beedeville, 1910
Rains Landing See Bengel
Remmel 1890 1928 26-11N-2W Was to be Tuckey; Mail to Newport
Richland See Sandford
Richwoods See Balch and Rufus
Rufus 1884 1902 10-10N-1W Was to be Richwoods; Mail to Balch
Sand Hill 1878 1879 6-10N-2W
Sandford 1895 1896 4-13N-2W Was to be Richland; Mail to Tuckerman
Scarry 1906 1906
Shoffner 1903 1967 29-10N-2W Named for Edward P. Shoffner, Postmaster; Mail to Newport
Snake Pond 1860 1861
Stegall 1913 1929 1-11N-2W Named for Pearl P. Stegall, Postmistress; Mail to Newport
Susan 1891 1892 22-9N-1W Was to be Clarkson; Mail to Eli
Sweetville 1853 1855 In Crittenden County'
Swifton 1874 30-14N-1W
Thirty-seven See Adelaide
Tuckerman 1874 30-13N-2W
Tuckey See Remmel
Vance 1894 1894 14-13N-2W Mail to Tuckerman
Walter See Plunkett
Weldon 1966 21-10N-2W Changed from Wise, 1886; Mail to Newport
Wilburn 1891 1892 31-9N-1W Mail to McCrory
Williams Mill 1875 1878 34-12N-2W
Wise 1885 31-10N-2W Changed to Weldon, 1886