Post Offices

Post office:

Mail delivery first began in North America during the seventeenth century. Prior to the availability of the telegraph, telephone, radio, television, or worldwide web, mail served as the only means of written communication between different locales. The United States’ early mail system proved to be primitive, slow, and often undependable. But as the nation grew, so did its postal system. As American settlers moved west and occupied new lands, their commerce and communication needs demanded dependable, affordable mail service. One of the new places served by the nation’s postal service was Arkansas.

Information about Arkansas post offices on this webpage includes the name of the post office, date of establishment, location, and county. Sources used in compiling this data include official postal service records, “Records of Appointments of Postmasters, Arkansas, 1832-1871” and “Geographic Site Location Reports, 1852-1945.” Also utilized were various editions of the Arkansas Gazette and Arkansas Democrat, several volumes of the Territorial Papers of the United States, and the Works Projects Administration’s “List of Post Offices in Arkansas 1817-1874, Inclusive.” The most comprehensive printed compilation of post office information is found in Arkansas History Commission Archival Manager Russell Baker’s Arkansas Post Offices from Memdag to Norsk: A Historical Directory, 1832-1990, published by the Arkansas Genealogical Society.

Post Office Est. Closed Location Comments
Advance 35-21N-7E Name changed from Pollard, 1890
Bald Knob 1876 From Greene County, 1876; Name changed to Oak Bluff, 1877
Barcamp 1918 Name changed to Tipperary, 1925
Big Creek 1869 36-20N-6E From Greene County, 1873; Name changed to Boydsville, 1875
Boydsville 1954 25-20N-6E Name changed from Big Creek, 1875; Mail to Rector
Bridgeport 1897 23-21N-3E Name changed from Don, 1893; Was to be named Dell
Brookings 1915 14-19N-3E Name changed from Michener, 1894; Mail to Peach Orchard
Brown 1884 1886 2-20N-9E Named for William E. Brown, Postmaster; Mail to Greenway
Carryville 1910 1969 27-20N-9E
Chalk Bluff 1874 1-21N-8E Name changed to St. Francis, 1882
Clayville 1876 29-20N-8E Name changed to Greenway, 1882
Cork See Knob
Corning 1873 6-20N-5E Name changed from Hecht City; From Randolph County, 1873
Crockett 1890 1905 9-20N-7E Mail to Piggot
Currentview 1899 1905 5-21N-3E From Ripley County, Missouri, 1899; Mail to Ripley County, Missouri
Dante 1894 1895 9-21N-8E Was to be named Popluar Creek
Datto 1900 10-20N-3E Was to be named Cherokee Bay
Dodo See Piggott
Don 1888 13-21N-3E Was to be named Ethel; Changed to Bridgeport, 1893
Elmer See Littleton
Ernestville 1910 1915 2-20N-5E Named for Isaac E. Ernest, Postmaster; Mail to Corning
Ethel See Don
Gleghorn 1901 1902 11-20N-5E Mail to Knobel
Greenway 28-20N-8E Name changed from Clayville, 1882
Griffin 1870 1876 16-20N-7E To Clay County, 1873
Hammett 1893 1907 5-19N-8E Mail to Rector
Hecht City 1873 6-20N-5E Name changed to Corning, 1873
Hickories 1916 1954 4-20N-6E Mail to Corning
Knob 1903 1910 17-19N-6E Was to be named Cork or Tea; Mail to Marmaduke
Knobel 1874 1-19N-4E
Leonard 1903 1929 5-18N-8E Mail to Rector
Littleton 1889 23-20N-7E Name changed from Monroe, 1888; Was to be named Elmer
Loyal Hill 1869 1872 17-21N-8E From Greene County, 1873
McDougal 1916 23-21N-6E
Michener 1892 Named for Abram Michener, Postmaster; Changed to Brookings, 1894
Moark 1875 1964 3-21N-5E Mail to Corning
Monroe 1885 Name changed to Littleton, 1888
Nimmons 1903 1980 3-19N-9E
Oak Bluff 1844 1868
Oak Bluff 15-19N-7E Name changed from Bald Knob 1877; Changed to Rector, 1882
Palatka 1933 16-21N-4E Name changed from Vidette, 1890; Mail to Corning
Patterson 1909 21-19N-9E Named for John H. Patterson, Postmaster; Changed to West Kennett, 1919
Peach Orchard 1873 20-19N-3E From Randolph County, 1876
Piggott 1881 33-21N-8E Was to be named Dodo
Pitman 1868 1954 4-21N-3E From Randolph County, 1874; Back to Randolph County, 1895
Pollard 1876 19-21N-8E Name changed to Advance, 1886; Changed back to Pollard, 1890
Popular Creek See Dante
Rector 23-19N-7E Name changed from Oak Bluff, 1882
Richwood See Thurman
St. Francis 18-21N-9E Name changed from Chalk Bluff, 1882
Stahl 1913 1914
Success 1895 23-21N-3E
Tabor 1898 1902 17-21N-3E Mail to Currentview
Tea See Knob
Thurman 1888 1903 8-20N-4E Was to be named Richwoods; Mail to Corning
Tipperary 1938 31-20N-6E Name changed from Barcamp, 1918; Mail to Knobel
Vidette 1888 16-21N-4E Name changed to Palatka, 1890
West Kennett 1926 21-19N-9E Name changed from Patterson, 1919; Mail to Rector
Williams 1888 17-21N-5E Named for Hugh H. Williams, Postmaster; Mail to Moark