Post Offices

Search
Post office:
County:

Mail delivery first began in North America during the seventeenth century. Prior to the availability of the telegraph, telephone, radio, television, or worldwide web, mail served as the only means of written communication between different locales. The United States’ early mail system proved to be primitive, slow, and often undependable. But as the nation grew, so did its postal system. As American settlers moved west and occupied new lands, their commerce and communication needs demanded dependable, affordable mail service. One of the new places served by the nation’s postal service was Arkansas.

Information about Arkansas post offices on this webpage includes the name of the post office, date of establishment, location, and county. Sources used in compiling this data include official postal service records, “Records of Appointments of Postmasters, Arkansas, 1832-1871” and “Geographic Site Location Reports, 1852-1945.” Also utilized were various editions of the Arkansas Gazette and Arkansas Democrat, several volumes of the Territorial Papers of the United States, and the Works Projects Administration’s “List of Post Offices in Arkansas 1817-1874, Inclusive.” The most comprehensive printed compilation of post office information is found in Arkansas History Commission Archival Manager Russell Baker’s Arkansas Post Offices from Memdag to Norsk: A Historical Directory, 1832-1990, published by the Arkansas Genealogical Society.

Post Office Est. Closed Location Comments
Adamsville 1858 1903 1-14S-10W Mail to Santuck
Allcorn 1894 1905 14-12S-12W Was to be named More; Mail to New Edinburg
Arline See Draper
Banks 6-13S-11W Name changed from Morgan, 1906
Barkada 1917 12-17S-10W Name changed from Cavaness Landing, 1884; To Drew County, 1884
Blanchton 1883 1894 12-17S-10W Was to be named Wilson; Mail to Johnsville
Bledsoe's Shop 1860 1866
Blue Springs 1907 1915 26-12S-12W Mail to Banks
Bradley 1868 1889 To Lincoln County in 1871
Broad 1910 21-16S-9W Name changed from Palmette, 1909; Was to be named Vick
Burlin See Ingalls
Cabeens 1832 From Union County, 1840; Name changed to Warren, 1843
Cavaness Landing 1879 24-12S-9W Local name, Harrison; Name changed to Barkada, 1884
Cleary 1900 1902 30-13S-10W Was to be named Pierce; Mail to Warren
Como 1855 1914 To Dallas County
Conrad 1911 1914 31-15S-11W Mail to Hermitage
Creswell 1871 1877
Draper 1898 1913 30-12S-10W Was to be Arline; Mail to Warren
Dry Ridge 1846 1851 To Drew County, 1846
Eagle Creek 1876 Name chnaged from Lott's Creek, 1850
Farmsville 1892 1894 12-14S-11W Mail to Warren
Ferrell 1895 1922 29-15S-9W Mail to Johnsville
Formosa 1890 1891
Fountain Hill 1846 To Drew County, 1846
Gabe 1895 1896 6-16S-11W Mail to Marsden
Gravel Ridge/Gravelridge 1850 1950 34-14S-11W Local name, Watkin's Store; Mail to Banks
Greenville 1895 22-14S-10W Name changed to Santuck, 1895
Halfway See Sturgis
Harrison 1841 1843 From Union County, 1841; See Cavaness Landing
Hermitage 1854 32-14S-10W
Holly Branch 1878 1879 13-12S-12W
Hopewell 1860 1866
Ingalls 1890 1965 29-15S-10W Was to be named Burlin
Jersey 1885 11-15S-12W Was to be named Shady Grove
Johnsville 1859 1956 27-15S-9W Mail to Ingalls
Key See Martin
Lagle 1853 1869
Lanark 1847 1918 Mail to Banks
Legels 1925 1927 33-15S-10W Mail to Ingalls
Longview 1846 1907 To Ashley County
Lotts Creek 1848 Name changed to Eagle Creek, 1850
Marsden 1890 1913 11-16S-11W Was to be named Olin; Mail to Conrad
Martin 1878 1879 11-15S-12W Was to be named Key
Montsville 1888 1894 23-15S-10W Mail to Ingalls
Morgan 1895 Name changed to Banks, 1906
Moro See Allcorn
Moro Bay 1855 Locally Moro Landing; Name changed to Pigeon Hill, Union County
Moro Bay/Morobay 1860 1955 21-16S-12W Mail to Jersey
Moro Landing See Moro Bay
Mount Elba 1847 1875 To Cleveland County, 1873
Olin See Marsden
Out 1903 1904
Palace 1895 1905 21-14S-11W Mail to Gravelridge
Palmetto 1902 Name changed to Broad, 1909
Parnell Springs See Starosta
Pierce See Cleary
Pine Castle/Pinecastle 1888 1893 35-12S-11W Mail to Warren
Pirtle 1899 1912 22-15S-11W Mail to Gravel Ridge
Randall 1868 1915 To Jefferson County
Santuck/Santack 1904 22-14S-10W Name changed from Greenville, 1895; Mail to Hermitage
Shady Grove See Jersey
Simpson 1882 1909 35-14S-10W Mail to Hermitage
St. John 1868 1879 To Cleveland County, 1873
Starosta 1900 1904 6-12S-10W Was to be named Parnell Springs; Mail to Orlando
Stix/Styx 1896 1906 22-12S-11W Mail to Draper
Sturgis 1887 9-16S-10W Was to be named Halfway; Name changed to Vick, 1906
Sumpter 1857 1934 33-14S-19W Mail to Hermitage
Vick 1955 11-16S-10W Name changed from Sturgis, 1906; Mail to Ingalls
Vineyard 1870 1871
Wagnon 1889 1895
Warren 6-13S-9W Name changed from Cabeens, 1843
Watkin's Store Named for Thomas J. Watkins; See Gravelridge
Watts Corner 1929 1929 Near Ingalls
Willallen 1900 1900
Williams/Williamsville 1884 1884 14-12S-12W Named for Charles P. Williams, Postmaster; Mail to Kingsland
Wilson See Blanchton